A sleeping baby is the best thing in the world, for obvious reasons. When your baby sleeps, she’s not crying or hungry or demanding you not only hold her but walk around while holding her. When your baby is asleep, you can shower or eat or fold the laundry. You can even enjoy a cup of coffee while your baby sleeps. I thought of all this things prior to having a baby whose naps gave me freedom, but I didn’t anticipate the best parts of a sleeping baby. My favorite thing about my sleeping baby is the way her pouty little lips open in a miniature “O.” I love how she falls asleep while nursing, her warm little body curled around me. Her sleepy funny faces where her eyebrows shoot up but her eyelids remain closed make us laugh very time. I love when she falls asleep laying in my chest with her face nestled in my neck. Her little baby smells and the way you can move her little fingers and feet without her waking up. Maybe the very best part of a sleepy baby is watching her wake up. She stretches repeatedly and smiles so big at us. It reminds me that she is just a little person. Sleepy babies are where it’s at. Overtired babies on the other hand…that’s a different story!
Some days Ok MOST days, I don’t leave enough time to get ready in the morning. I get up, use the bathroom and shower (or just wash my face if I showered the night before). I brush my teeth. I HAVE to clean my ears each time I shower or else I feel icky all day. I put eye lotion and face lotion on. I brush my hair and put chapstick on (also a must). Then I usually undergo the daily ritual of getting dressed. Why is getted dressed SUCH an ordeal? You would think after probably 18-19 years of dressing myself, it would be something that had become easy. But no. It never is. I think it’s that I need more clothes (haha). Or possibly because all my clothes are in laundry baskets/stacks on my dresser and I’m too lazy to wear heels?
Anyway, back to the point. After the clothing time suck, I HAVE to eat or at least gather food for the day and that usually only leaves time for hair OR makeup, but not both. Since I would rather not drive to work with a wet head and makeup is much more travel-friendly, I tend to bring my makeup to work and throw it on at my desk. Gone are the days when I spent 30 minutes perfecting my eye makeup before heading to the student center (usually because I took too long and missed my class). My makeup routine is so simple lately, it’s barely even there (but you better hope it is because the alternative is not cute).
Still, even dumbed down, I don’t feel like myself without my face on. Foundation is first and, I swear, it makes me feel like a different person. I feel awake and refreshed, ready to actually see people. I could stop there (and sometimes I do shhh) but that also makes people ask if I’m feeling okay thanks to the absence of bronzer. So usually my bare bones minimum also includes a little matte bronzer and my favorite blush, MAC’s Melba. Fancy days also include eyeliner (either pencil or gel or both) and mascara.
It doesn’t matter what I’m wearing, how I’m feeling or whether I’ve had coffee yet, I always feel better post makeup application. I know some people feel awake after breakfast or ONLY after their first or second cup of coffee, but for me it’s foundation. What gets you up in the morning? If you say a morning jog, I’ll go cry myself (back to) sleep. Can you tell my New Year’s resolutions are taking a hit? PS – makeup does not stop me from yawning. Although that could be thanks to my 6am dog walk this morning.
Below I’ve decided to allow these photos to surface for your amusement…which I’ll probably regret. Enjoy!
DISCLAIMER: These photos were taken during college and while at least partially intoxicated. I believe these facts combined mean I can not be held liable. Thank you!
I’m linking up with Kym at Travel Babbles today to tell you 20 things you might not know about me. I thought it would be fun, but it’s been surprisingly difficult to think of 20 things. I’m sure they’ll start bombarding me when I’m in the car later, though (oops, see #13!).
1. My dogs Bruce and Clark are named after super heroes (Batman and Superman). Both of them were surprises from my husband.
2. I was a cheerleader for 13 years and I still love it. In fact, I went to see Bring It On: The Musical last weekend.
3. I can quote almost any episode of Friends. I love to watch it as I fall asleep.
4. Pasta with butter and parmesan cheese is my favorite comfort food. Whenever I’m really down, a big bowl of it will usually pick me up. Throw in some jalapeno chips and you’re golden. Also? Pasta with butter was pretty much all I ate during my childhood and was the first thing I learned how to “cook.”
5. I hate doing dishes. Our apartment doesn’t have a dishwasher and I seriously cringe everytime we use a dish because I know I’m going to have to wash it (sooner or later).
6. I love to read and I go through books like underwear. I’ll read anything if I have to, but love chick lit and memoirs.
7. I’m a bit of a hypochondriac. I always think the worst when I have an odd twinge or pain, and live in constant fear that I have a tumor I don’t know about.
8. I’m a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon although I was never an active sister. I stopped caring about things like grades in high school which carried over to college and was strengthened when partying every night become the new norm. A poor GPA kept me from taking a little sister, competing in Greek Week, or having a position. It also kept me from graduating.
9. I want to write novels. This has always been a dream of mine, but my desire to work from home has made it grow.
10. My favorite movie is How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Runners-up include the new Footloose, the Notebook, and Remember the Titans. I will always put Stepbrothers on if it’s playing and the Fast and Furious movies are the background to my life. I was once in the backseat of a car racing on back country roads…half fun, half terrifying.
11. I became obsessed with makeup after a trip to the mall over Christmas break my freshman year of college with 2 friends from high school. They were getting makeup, not me, but I became friends with the makeup artist (you may know her as Jessica Romano from The Glam Fairy…if not, you should) and would sit and watch her do makeup on other people. Other times, she would do my makeup and show me what she did. I have no formal training in makeup other than short training sessions when I worked for Benefit Cosmetics and Chanel Cosmetics and 2 MAC artist classes. I currently work as a freelance makeup artist (in addition to my other jobs…plural).
12. Even though I’m 24 years old (and have been drinking since 14, shhh) I am still learning how to handle my liquor. Apparently, you shouldn’t lose track of how many whiskey shots you take, leading to crying and throwing up out a window? (Yeah, that story will be coming…and sorry, Frank.)
13. I am a bad driver. Honestly, my biggest drawback is that I have a hard time focusing while driving, which I didn’t even realize until I crashed my car. I have to force myself to keep my mind on the task at hand and not fiddle with the heat or radio, not stare at things out the window, not look at my phone. I never realized what a problem it was and it got me thinking that maybe I have ADD (please see item #7 above).
14. I’m 5’0. Yes, that is short. No it is not legally considered a midget. Moving on.
15. My desk at work HAS to be organized or I can’t get anything done. I find myself constantly re-organizing it lately because I’ve got so much going on right now and things are always piling up. Too bad I can’t say the same for my apartment!
16. I am extremely clumsy. I have fallen down stairs, tripped, busted ass in Starbucks, walked into doors, door frames, walls, cabinets, bang my knee on my desk regularly, cut my hand with any number of things I’m using, etc. At my friend’s wedding, I cut my palm with a steak knife trying to slice bread. After a few drinks in heels? I’ll need an escort.
17. I tend to wait until the last minute for everything. Major procrastination going on over here. I especially do this when I need to get ready, choosing instead to lay in bed for 10 more minutes or just watch this TV show until the next commercial. And then I’m late.
18. My handwriting looks drastically different all the time depending on how hard I’m trying to make it look nice. In school, I used to re-write my notes if they were sloppy. Sloppy handwriting is a pet peeve of mine!
19. I like to cook if and only if I have mass amounts of time and someone else will do the dishes for me. Also, it doesn’t hurt if the dish includes pasta which almost guarantees I’ll like it. I even ate (and liked!) green pasta in Aruba.
20. Last but not least, I am ridiculously scared of bugs. I make my husband kill them. I was really proud of myself for killing a big big BIG bug while he was away on his bachelor party, but I’m pretty sure it stayed squished on the wall until he came home. I know they’re smaller than me, but I definitely don’t think they’re scared of me.
There you have it. Me in a nutshell. Or rather 20 numbered bullets. Leave a few things about yourself in the comments so I can get to know you, too!
Ok, now I know it’s been all of 3.5 days since New Year’s officially started, but I am quite pleased with myself. I’ve been to the gym 3 times this week and worked out at home once (Jillian Michaels even kicks your ass in yoga). I’ve been eating fairly healthily by bringing my lunches to work & last night my hubs made steak and mixed veggies and I put together this Lemony Chickpea Salad from Eat Yourself Skinny! It’s one of our favorite side dishes and I plan to make a big ol’ bowl of it and keep it in the frig for snacking and easy access lunches.
My goal isn’t to diet per se, but to become healthy. I’m putting that into practice by making exercise a habit, cooking at home, and keeping fattening foods in moderation. I had a candy cane last night and I’m not going to cry about it. I wanted a candy cane, so I had a candy cane. I’m also pretty proud of myself that I’m sitting here at work (shh) and have already walked the dogs, worked out, showered and got ready, stopped at Starbucks for coffee and breakfast with my co-worker/gym buddy Dana, and now here I am (and will be until 5:30 when I leave to go to my own Bucks). For someone who normally snoozes until the absolute last second then runs around the apartment like a maniac trying to get ready, I say even one day is an improvement.
They say it takes 6 weeks to make something a habit. Valentine’s Day, I’m looking at you.
And so that all may see and not just my husband’s Instagram followers, my tattoo:
AND I DIDN’T CRY OR YELL OR ANYTHING! In fact, I may not have even breathed except while he was refilling the ink. It was so quick and I’m not sure if I’m more of a baby for being scared or wanting to whine. The $5.00 fee per whine (!!!) is most likely what kept me quiet, not my husband’s encouragement that I’m more mature than my last tattoo and can probably take pain a little better (eh, not so sure).
If you’re in North Jersey & looking for an amazing tattooist, go to Frank at Vintage Tattoo. He is awesome! He has tattooed Hubs and his whole family and does amazing work. Besides that, he’s hilarious and puts you totally at ease. He also sees your vision of what you want and alters it to make it incredible. Just his suggestion of making the quote into a curved line instead of straight made my little tattoo so much better. But don’t whine. You’ll get charged.
And now I’m proud twice!
I’m getting a tattoo today, and I’m so nervousexcitedscared I think I might pee myself. I have 2 tattoos already so I know how bad they hurt and I’m really not looking forward to the process. Too bad alcohol isn’t allowed beforehand because I really think a glass of wine during the needle point on my back would make it much better.
I’ve wanted to get a tattoo in remembrence of my mom since she passed away in May. Nothing big or flashy, nothing that said MOM emblazoned across it or with the dates that bookend her life. Something simple & delicate that would make me smile when I saw it or others asked about it. The choice was pretty obvious. My mom used to say “I love you to the moon and back.” It was probably one of the only emotional things we kept up, transitioning her “name” from Mommy to Mom or Mama if I was in a good mood. Even through our fights, each time we made up it was what we said to each other. It was in my birthday cards and I even have an inscribed copy of the book as well as a stuffed rabbit my mom gave me (I think I was 19) that I’ll pass on to a future daughter one day.
A few months ago I decided I DEFINITELY wanted the quote permanently inked on my body, shortening it to “…to the moon and back”. I love my friend Alyson’s tattoo on her shoulder blade, also a quote, and decided it was the prettiest (and least fat) place for mine to go. After getting her approval, my decision on both WHAT and WHERE to get the tattoo was made. All I needed was when. At first I said I would do it after our honeymoon. Then I thought for sure before my friend’s wedding where I wore an open back dress as it would look perfect in the outfit. Then I decided ok, before my NEXT friend’s wedding. Or the next… And there we were, no real tattoo plans in sight.
Fast forward to Christmas morning when confusion struck upon opening a box of unscented body wash, and I look at my husband like, huh? Pulling back the tissue paper I found a gift certificate AND an appointment time for my tattoo. I had thought it odd but sweet when he had been interrogating me about specifically what I wanted a few weeks earlier and he claimed he was drawing a picture of it, and now I know he was really trying to get information for the gift. I’m so touched that he not only paid for the tattoo, but also made sure the date was set in stone (or at least written in a book).
So that leaves me to this morning as I’m wondering what to wear to work (I’m going straight to my appointment after) that will allow the tattoo artist to have full access to my upper back without having to chill in his room with the window that faces the street sans shirt or bra. I settled on a tank top my sister sent me from Australia that has a lower elastic back so I can simply push the strap down (hopefully). I also brought a bathing suit top as a desperate option because I really don’t want to wear that in the shop either. Not right now only a few days into my healthy me campaign.
So here’s to pre-tattoo Advil, quick work & a glass of wine at approximately 9pm (AFTER my appointment, people) while watching season 2 of Walking Dead, of course. Honestly, I’m just hoping I’m not asked to use my “indoor voice” which may or may not have happened during my first tattoo. But to my credit, it’s on my foot! That’s supposed to be the worst place! Fingers crossed my back isn’t QUITE so painful. Or loud.
When you think of Starbucks, most likely you think of overpriced (amazing) holiday lattes and mocha frappucinos with whipped cream. You might think of green straws and Christmas cups. But when I think of Starbucks I think of the uppity (best word to NICELY describe them) Christmas shoppers and large groups of teenagers each ordering a different small frappucino with extra whipped cream and extra chocolate drizzle. I also think of how EVERY. SINGLE. CUSTOMER. Asks where the straws are and then seem extremely put out to find the milk/sugar/straw/napkin carts are around the corner (by Wetzel’s Pretzels) which is, of course, done for their convenience while waiting for their drinks during the busy rush. I also think of the annoying customers, the customers who ask for a stupid drink that takes my overworked brain far too long to comprehend. I think of the customers who talk down to me because I work at Starbucks, although this may be more because I work at Starbucks in the mall food court. I think of the customers who have names I couldn’t begin to think of how to spell or customers who have weird spellings of common names and then laugh or ridicule how their name is spelled on their cup. Just be happy I DID write your name so that the guy 3 behind you who ALSO orders a grande mocha with whip doesn’t take your cup and leave you to wait for his.
So to help out myself and all the other disgruntled Starbucks (really any coffee shop) employees, I’ll give you a few tips that ensures a happy trip for all.
- If it’s busy, you are most likely waiting in line for a few minutes. Use this time to peruse the menu and decide what you would like to drink. That way, when the person taking your order comes to you, you don’t hold up the entire line because you were talking (loudly) on your phone and don’t know what you want to order.
- LISTEN. If you tell me 3 times that you want a caramel macchiato, but don’t answer me the 3 times I ask you WHAT SIZE, I will just stare at you until you do. We can’t write your triple shots, no foam, with whip on the cup until we know what size cup you’ll be purchasing.
- Your name is written on the cup for your convenience so the people who ordered first get their drinks first. It really DOESN’T matter what the spelling is so long as the name is correct. So for instance, if someone at another Starbucks writes “Lindsey” on my cup instead of my spelling “Lindsay” IT’S OK! Conversely, if you have some ridiculous name or a foreign name please spell it or stick with your initials. Not that hard people. I know there are blogs dedicated to pictures of incorrectly spelled names on Starbucks cups, but is it really that crazy that someone spelled “Styles” instead of “Stiles” or “Lora” instead of “Laura”?
- Yes, we know you ordered. We work here so we know the system so when you get to the REGISTER that means it’s time to pay. And no, I don’t have your cup in front of me so yes you will have to repeat your order. Also, soy milk and added shots cost extra. Not surprising.
- While waiting for your drink, please take note that the barista IS making more than one beverage. Please don’t ask him/her every 30 seconds if Linda’s caramel cappuccino is there. When it is, we’ll tell you.
- We don’t mind getting you a free cup of ice water, but it still takes a minute away from the drinks we’re making for paying customers, so please be patient while I finish the drinks I’m currently making and THEN I’ll get you your water. If you don’t want to wait, we sell bottled water for $1.95.
- The milk and sugar are available for you to add to your coffee and make them perfect for you. This is complimentary. That doesn’t mean it should look like a bomb hit it every time we go to refill something and then need to spend 15 minutes away from the bar to clean it up. There are actual holes in the carts for you to be able to drop garbage through to the garbage can. WHAT A NOVEL IDEA! THROWING GARBAGE IN A GARBAGE CAN! Also, is it not second nature for people to take the napkin half an inch to their right and wipe up the coffee they spilled? Maybe then I wouldn’t get such a work out from scrubbing the sugar strewn all over the carts as well.
- Last, but not least, we are people who are working hard here. At the Starbucks I work at, the line wraps around the store and feeds out into the food court. We do a really good job of taking orders as quickly as possible and passing the cups onto the bar so your drink is made as close to the time you’re done paying as possible. But if you can see the line in front of you, it will take a few minutes for your drink to be ready. Also, this is a second job for some of us so after working 9 hours, I’m here for another 5 to serve you and then clean the entire place before I leave. A little courtesy would be nice, and if that’s too much to ask maybe you could get off your phone while I’m waiting for you to order, pay and then calling out Shaniquanaynay (spelled incorrectly of course) for 5 minutes when your drink is ready.
So this weekend while you’re finishing up your Christmas shopping, pop into Starbucks and order a Peppermint Mocha or Eggnog Latte (they’re delicious) and try to follow my rules. They might make your outing THAT much nicer!
Things I think When…
Pay attention, pay attention, pay attention
What kind of car is THAT?
Haha z100 is so funny
Seriously? You’re shaving Greg T’s butt on the radio? This is so stupid.
Oops, pay attention, Lindsay!
Pretty Christmas lights!
Dude, speeding up when I put my turn signal on and blocking me from getting over to my exit will not end well for you.
BLEEP! ROAD WORK?!?!?!
I’m at work…
This video is so annoying. I think I can recite every word.
Ick, my coffee is cold. I should heat it up.
Ron is still sleeping. What a jerk.
I really have to pee. I should probably get up and do that.
Get off Facebook and get to work!
Jeez, this student is NEVER here.
Sorry, ma’am, but I’m not your daughter’s secretary. You can tell her about her dentist appt yourself.
Ugh this video!
No you’ve reached the school. I can transfer you to the salon.
Is it 5:30 yet?
I’m working at Starbucks…
Yes the line starts over there.
Seriously, you probably shouldn’t get “extra extra extra” whipped cream.
I can’t hear you in the middle of the food court when you whisper.
Ok, please spell Lashaniquanaynay for me?
Yes, you DO have to wait in the line to pay.
What the eff kind of drink is that?
You mean FRAPPUCINO. Frappes are sold at McDonalds.
The sizes are tall, grande and venti. Or you can just say small, medium or large and I think I’ll get it.
I heard you ask for a gingerbread latte 3 times, but I need to know what SIZE.
God these people are stupid.
Ugh this is supposed to be soy, oops.
Bleep! I poured the wrong milk again.
Damn, I’m an idiot.
Are we closed yet?
I’m at home…
I should really clean the bathroom, but I’ll just watch this show until the next commercial.
Ok, maybe the NEXT commercial.
Ugh we have no food. Pizza for dinner?
GET DOWN CLARK!
The tree is so pretty. We should put up more decorations.
Ugh I still have to put the boxes back in the closet.
CLARK LEAVE BRUCE ALONE!
I wish Ron would get home.
Yay, Ron’s home!
Will he notice if I don’t do the dishes until tomorrow?
WHICH ONE OF YOU PEED ON THE FLOOR?!
Ew the bathroom is gross.
I want ice cream.
Ew I’m getting for real fat.
Great, I don’t want to go on a diet.
Maybe tomorrow. Or Monday. Monday is better.
When I’m working out…
Got you there, huh? What are you thinking throughout the day?
This is actually hard to put together because I don’t want to give away any surprises for my family members, I still want to join the blogosphere in putting together a gift guide/wish list (because usually anything I buy for someone would be something I would be happy to receive!) So below you can find some of my favorite gift ideas, especially for any hot messes out there who haven’t yet started Christmas shopping (don’t look at me, I’m almost done!).
For your wine-loving best friend:
Stemless wine glasses and a bottle of wine
I actually received these as a gift from my sister-in-law one year and I love them. As any truly super klutzy person knows, wine glasses with stems are easily broken. These are nearly fool proof, even for the heaviest wino out there. I actually picked up a set of 4 last year for a grab bag for about $8 at TJ Maxx! Pair with your favorite inexpensive wine like a bottle from Cupcake Vineyard or my personal fave, Voga (shoutout to one of my best friends, Meghan!) and you’re the best gift giver ever (in my opinion).
For your man-FRIEND:
New York Giants Toaster
My husband actually received a Yankees version from his sister once and he loved it (we’ve since upgraded to this toaster that simultaneously makes egg sandwiches. WHAT?!). Toast is pretty much the easiest thing to make so any guy can (and does) eat it, so why not have it pop out and root for his favorite team?
For your fashionista little sister:
Stila All Is Bright Lip Glaze Set
Give her a lip gloss to go with each look! Add a gift card to her favorite store to up the ante. PS – if you’re still looking to get me a gift, I wouldn’t hate this!
For your boss (who you actually like!):
Gift a super cute planner to your boss so they can keep track of all their important goings-on. Your boss stays organizes, you appear put together AND score brownie points with your boss! Win-win for everybody!
For grab bag/hostess gift/little sumtin-sumtin:
Gift cards along with coffee/coffee mugs are always a great go-to! So many people like coffee and now that Starbucks and pretty much all their competitors offer great non-coffee beverages as well, there is something for everyone. So whether you are pro-Bucks or pro-Dunkin, grab a cute mug or travel cup and their favorite blend (Starbucks VIA is great because you just mix with hot water!) to go with a $5 gift card to please almost anybody!
What is your favorite go-to gift to give? And fave gift you’ve received? Give the ideas people!
Pity party is in full swing around these parts. Ok maybe 1/2 pity party, 1/2 periodic depression who knows. Either way, you know your day isn’t going to be the best when the first thing you do when you wake up is cry. Of course, if your 2 dogs decided 2:10am was the best time to rearrange their sleeping positions, play, fight, growl, and bite you all within your half of a king size bed, you might have cried this morning, too. Also my day goes like this: 8:30-4:30 full time work yo, 4:45-5:45 work Christmas party & leave early because… 6:30-
11:15 12:00am (aka MIDNIGHT because some supervisors suck at closing) Bucks. What my schedule SHOULD look like: 8:30-4:30 work, 4:45-8ish work Christmas party where we get mildly tipsy then eat tons of food to sober up (it works), 8:30-whenever my hubs is done with his MBA (Master Beer Appreciation) at Cloverleaf Tavern getting silly with all of my friends…my friends who drove me around pre-rental car (I really miss my car) and who I haven’t seen since. Cool. So maybe you know why I started my day off with tears! And tomorrow I get to sleep in and go BACK to Bucks for a 2:30- 11:15 MIDNIGHT shift again. Can’t wait until next week when I’m SUPPOSED to get out at 12:15 which pretty much guarantees I won’t be home until 1:30. Awesome sauce.
Anyway, for a little less gloom (sorry) and a little more fun, I’ll tell you about the Carrie concert! She was absolutely amazing. I’m not really super into any once genre of music (besides Britney, bitch) and I’ve liked country for a while, but only gone to a few concerts (Kenny Chesney, Jason Aldean I think?, and a power combo of Brad Paisley, T.Swift, Kellie Pickler and Jack Ingram at some county fair in PA where they also fried pretty much everything and put it on a stick). I was a little lost on what to get my sister-in-law for her birthday, but when I saw Carrie would be performing in Newark the weekend before her birthday, it was a done deal. Getting there was fun of course with so many NJ Transit stations still being out of commission, but we took a train from Montclair to Newark Broad Street and exited the station to be on a creepy street corner. Not so good. Luckily the world’s nicest light rail conductor (yup. Wish I had a picture) took us to Penn Station on his light rail (sounds like something from the Magic School Bus) and then had some stranger man who I can only assume is a frequent rider point us in the direction of the Prudential Center. Can you say hopeless? That was us. In cowboy hats. Following a stranger. In Newark. ANYWAY…the concert was pretty uneventful besides the fact that it rocked my socks off. Hunter Hayes opened and he was amazing. I’m officially a fan of a few of his songs including this one:
PS. Also check out his song “Wanted.” It makes my heart smile.
After intermission (and our beer refill) Carrie came on and wow. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a concert where the artist sounded BETTER, like A LOT better, in person than on their CD. She is the real deal. She also performed with the kids from PS 122 in Brooklyn who have become a little famous as of late. It was super cute. She also had a flying stage. No joke, a piece of her stage came off the main part and was on a pulley system so she and her band moved all the way through the arena. So cool. It was also really cool that it looked kind of like a hot air balloon.
I already really liked Carrie Underwood, but I am officially obsessed fan girl for life. I have had the CD my sister-in-law made for me on repeat in my (stupid rental) car all week. Below are two of my NEW favorites (because don’t we ALL love Before He Cheats and Cowboy Casanova?).
This song makes me want to watch The Wizard of Oz (probably because while it was performed Carrie was in a house in a hurricane a la Dorothy?)
My new fave.
Also check out Can’t Leave Love Alone! Love that one too!