I wrote this post to be published last Friday April 28th…the day BEFORE my birthday. It was completely written but the pictures were acting wonky and the day was so busy that I never got a chance to fix it. So in true Hot Mess, Cool Mom fashion, here is my Friday Faves post…on Wednesday…AFTER the birthday that was almost. If that makes any sense.
Also – thank you to everyone who read and commented and liked my post from yesterday. My mom would have loved to see that!\
Sorry I’ve been MIA again. It’s not so much that I don’t WANT to write, but that my mental and physical limits have been reached lately – haha! The hubs and I have been focusing on improving our diets and exercising daily which is great, but by the time 8pm and the kids’ bedtime rolls around, I can’t even look at my computer (let alone the baskets -plural- of laundry that need to be folded and put away) and instead crash to watch TV or read. Hopefully as my body adjusts, I’ll start to feel more energetic in the evenings? Probably not, but here’s to hoping!
Tomorrow is my birthday so with that in mind, I’m putting together this Friday faves of PAST BIRTHDAYS. I’m going to be 29 so I have one more year to enjoy my 20’s before officially crossing over into 30-dom. Here’s to enjoying it to the fullest!
- The year Ron threw me a surprise brunch complete with about a million different types of pancakes and bacon bloody Mary’s! I still bring this up (especially to brag to Riley about mac-and-cheese pancakes) on the regular, and I’ll never forget how surprised I was by how much work went into this party with so many friends crammed into our apartment in NJ. It was a bittersweet time because my mom was at the height of her cancer, and I had just gone to see her in Florida for the last time. Having my friends and family around me definitely made a difficult birthday feel better.
- The years we celebrated at Dave and Buster’s! It was a yearly tradition in NJ to celebrate my birthday with the grown-up version of Chuck E. Cheese. We would go to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings (yum!) and then walk over to Dave and Buster’s for games and lots of drinks and shots (don’t expect me to do those ever again). Ron would load up a game card for me, and our big group would go wild all over the place. I’ll never forget the first year when everyone gave me their tickets and I pooled them to bring home….a giant stuffed giraffe. Seriously, who am I?
- The year we had just found out Riley was a girl! We had a gender reveal party 5 days before my 25th birthday. Our friend, Bianca, made cake pops that were pink on the inside and when I took a huge bite of mine, I almost choked while jumping up and down and (trying to) scream. I was so excited to have a little girl. I’ve always wanted to have both a boy and a girl (woo!), but ever since I was little I dreamed of a little girl, and that dream coming true made that birthday extra-special!
- The year I had a newborn baby Sawyer to snuggle! Sawyer’s birthday is 2 weeks before mine so my birthday is now trumped by his (as well as Peter and Bruce), but I wouldn’t change it for the world. I love celebrating his birthday in the spring and Riley’s in the fall. It breaks up the year perfectly, and even though I was sleep deprived and still in way too much pain the year he was born (I turned 27), I loved having my little guy to share the day with. He still makes mornings special with cuddling while watching Bubble Guppies – his favorite show!
- Saving the best for last here – The years that Peepop made me the best cakes ever! Seriously – the BEST cakes! I’ll never forget the first year we were in North Carolina and hormones must have made my taste buds wonky because I asked for vanilla and carmel instead of my usual chocolate and more chocolate. I had no idea if a vanilla/carmel cake existed, but Peepop not only made it happen, but it was INCREDIBLE. My all-time favorite was a peanut butter and chocolate cake that I think Ron and I ate for 3 days straight. It was crazy good. This year he is making a s’mores cake, and I’m so excited! I’ve requested a fire to FINALLY take place in our firepit for tomorrow – if the weather holds out! PS I have no pictures of my favorite birthdays apparently? I’ll make sure to post a good recap of the cake from this year next week!
Runners up include my pre-21’s like trying to go to Lana Lounge in Hoboken, but ending up in Bloomfield at a mini-frat party and my actual 21st birthday held at some place in Wayne that I forget the name of, but I took a shot of Rumplemintz and ended the night being dragged back to my friend’s apartment (Thanks, Meliss!) and attending a hungover lunch with my dad at Houlihan’s the next day! Oh to be young again! (Haha – not.)
PS – This post made me look in the WAY WAY old pictures on Facebook, which was maybe not a great idea! Also, I have no photographic evidence of my 25th or 28th birthdays.